Our Chapter Members volunteer their time and resources on a regular basis by participating in a variety of programs and activities relating to conversation and the environment, such as pulling trash from ditches as depicted in this photo on the right.
But we do much more, as you can see from this summary of recurring events held each year at our S-N IWLA Chapter:
- Annual Education Scholarships are awarded each Summer to students who have been accepted to or are already attending a university, college, or trade school, and who are pursuing studies pertaining to conservation and the environment. For more information, see Scholarships. Contact our Scholarship Chair if you have questions.
- An Education Scholarship raffle fund raiser is held every year. For more information, see Fund Raisers. Contact our Fundraiser Chair if you have questions.
- Annual Pancake Dinner fund raiser event occurs each November. For more information, see Fund Raisers.
- Semi-annual Adopt-a-Road road-side cleanups are held to clean up ditches alongside Kings Fork and Providence roads in Suffolk. Please check our website calendar for the next scheduled event, or contact our Adopt-A-Road Chair if you have questions.
- For information about shooting and archery classes/competitions scheduled at our Chapter park’s firing and archery ranges, please check our website calendar for the next scheduled event, or contact our Shooting Sports Coordinator or Archery Chair if you have questions. Also, see Archery Range.
- The Annual open-to-the-public Teddy Bear Hunt for Kids 3-10 years is held each April. Please check our website calendar for the next scheduled event, or contact our Youth Coordinator if you have questions.
- Once or twice a year, river cleanups are scheduled as part of the Adopt-A-Stream program. See Nansemond River Cleanups for more information. Please check our website calendar for the next scheduled event, or contact our SOS (Save Our Streams) Coordinator/Clean Water Liaison if you have questions.
- Semi-annual Park Clean-up and Family Picnic days are scheduled to occur in the Spring and again in the Fall, located at 480 Kings Fork Road, Suffolk, VA. For specific dates, see the Calendar. For questions, please contact our Park Maintenance Chair.
- Annual Banquet Dinner/Awards Presentations occurs at the Members Meeting each September. For specific dates, see the Calendar. For questions, please contact our Banquet Coordinator.
- Regular dinner meetings are held monthly every third Wednesday of the month (except for May, September, November, and December) at the Kings Fork Community House, located at the intersection of Kings Fork Road and Providence Road, Suffolk, Va. Dinner starts at 7PM. A picnic at the park is held in May; a members banquet is held in September; and a pancake supper fundraiser occurs in November. For specific dates, see the Calendar. For more information, see Meetings.
- Board meetings are held monthly at 7PM usually on the Monday or Tuesday of the week that precedes the regular meeting at the Suffolk Fire Station on King’s Fork Road (but with fallback plan to meet in the Constantia house at 509 W. Washington Street if available). Check the Calendar for specific dates and locations since these vary from month-to-month! For more information, see Meetings.